What could be better than double cookies? These bars soft, chewy and are packed with lots of chocolate chunks and cookie butter.
Updated November 2020 with process photos, ingredient photos and more information.
Chocolate Chunk Cookie Butter Bars combine two of my favorite things: dark chocolate and cookie butter. While chocolate chip cookies are amazing, sometimes I don’t want to worry about freezing or scooping. Instead, I want something hassle-free and ready as soon as possible for immediate consumption. This Chocolate Chunk Cookie Butter Bars recipe makes tasty chewy, gooey deliciousness in less than an hour!
You will love these bars because they are the perfect balance between rich dark chocolate and warm spices from the cookie butter, finished off with sea salt flakes. It creates an explosion of delicious flavors. Chewy bar, gooey chocolate, flaky sea salt. Yes, please! Best enjoyed with an extra-tall glass of (almond) milk or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! Don't be surprised if the bars are gone by the end of the day. They. Are. That. Addicting.
I’m so happy you’re making one of my recipes, and I would love to see how it turns out! Share it on Instagram using #makewithmara so I can see it -- you'll make my day. Feel free to leave a comment below. I'm glad we could crEATe something delicious together!
Why You'll Love this Recipe
- Cookie 2x - Cookie butter in a cookie bar
- Loaded with LOTS of gooey chocolate chunks
- The perfect combination of sweet and salty
- Super easy recipe
See the full list of ingredients and quantities in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Step-by-Step Process Photos
- What is Cookie Butter?
- Cookie Butter is a spread made from ground-up spice cookies called speculoos, they're the European version of gingerbread cookies. Speculoos are made on and around St. Nicolas Day, and similar to the US, families have different ways of creating their recipes with different spices and in varying shapes and sizes.
- Where can you buy Cookie Butter?
- Usually, I stock up on Cookie Butter at my local Trader Joes. You can find the closest one to you here! That's where I also buy these jumbo 5lb chocolate bars for $5 each. Perfect for cookies, brownies, and essentially any recipes that call for chocolate.
- If you don't have a Trader Joe's in your area. I've also been able to find cookie butter at Target.
A fellow Cookie Butter Lover? Check out more of my cookie butter-filled recipes!
- Soft Cookie Butter Cookies
- Nutella Cookie Butter Oatmeal Bars
- Cookie Butter Magic Shell
- Cookie Butter Fudge Sauce
Chocolate Chunk Cookie Butters
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 and ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup cookie butter
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 oz dark chocolate, roughly chopped (I use Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Pound Plus Bar)
- melted dark chocolate optional
- flaky sea salt optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray and set aside
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter, for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Allow butter to cool slightly so you do not scramble the egg.
- In a large bowl, add slightly cooled melted butter, egg, brown sugar, white, sugar, and stir vigorously to combine or beat with stand mixer for about 1 minute.
- Add in cookie butter and mix until combined.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt mix until just incorporated.
- Stir in chocolate chunks with spatula or wooden spoon
- Turn batter out into the prepared pan, smoothing out evenly with spatula
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until center is just set and golden.
- Allow bars to cool in pan for about 20-30 minutes then remove and cool to room temperature.
- Optional: top with extra melted chocolate and flaky sea salt
- Store extra bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week