Green. Chile. Cheddar. Butter. Swimming. Biscuits. Do I need to say more?
Updated November 2020 with process photos, ingredient photos and more information.
I beat you cant say "Green Chile Cheddar Butter Swimming Biscuits" 5 times fast without messing up. But, what I promise is you cannot mess up making these biscuits. They are incredibly easy to make and come together in 15 minutes tops. There's no need for a pastry cutter, chilling butter, or kneading needed. Instead, you'll have fluffy, buttery, a little bit spicy, salty, cheesy biscuits ready in an hour. Now, forewarning, these are NOT traditional flaky biscuits. It's more similar to a southern buttermilk biscuit BUT is baked in a glorious pool of butter and made with green chile and cheddar cheese hence the name Green Chile Cheddar Butter Swimming Biscuits. I use Tillamook's Sharp Cheddar - Familly Style Cut because the thick-cut means you get a glorious amount of cheese in every bite. You could definitely use other shredded cheddar cheese or hand shred your own but I ended up finding it at my grocery for "buy 1 get 1 free". I LOVE a good deal and I personally think Tillamook's cheese has better quality and flavor compared to generic brands.
These are the biscuits you want with soup, chili, sloppy joes, and the next morning (if they last that long) as a breakfast sandwich or with your eggs and coffee. These are good to have during breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, and even as a snack. The inside is fluffy and buttery, while the exterior is crispy from being baked in the glorious bath of butter. Not to mention, you're getting all different types of flavors from the green chile, cheddar cheese, buttermilk, and salt. Don't be surprised if you're reaching for another one once you finish your firs.t They are THAT GOOD!
Let's get baking!
Why you'll love this recipe:
Not only is this recipe easy to make, but it has a:
- Soft, buttery, and fluffy inside
- A crusty cheesy bottom
- Delicious with soup and chili
- Use leftovers to make a seriously delicious breakfast sandwich!
Green Chile Cheddar Biscuit Ingredients
This recipe is SUPER easy to make! But, start by preheating the oven to 450°F. Next, we're going to throw this dough together...
Need a Buttermilk Substitute?
Forgot to pick up buttermilk from the grocery store? I realize some people might not have buttermilk on hand unless they are an avid baker. Fear not, make your own buttermilk substitute with two household ingredients in the comfort of your own home.
In a bowl combine, 1.5 tablespoons of lemon juice or wine vinegar to 1.5 cups of milk (preferably whole milk). Let it sit out for 10 minutes at room temperature until curds form. Then, it's ready to use! Do NOT USE white wine vinegar, I learned the hard way. Always read your labels, ladies and gents!
Looking for more cheesy, carb recipes? Check out these recipes...
Green Chile Cheddar Butter Swimming Biscuits
- 8 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, thick and shredded I used Tillamook's Sharp Cheddar (Farm Style)
- 1.5 cups buttermilk
- 1 4-4.5oz canned green chile
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- In a large bowl, combine all-flour flour, salt, garlic powder, onion powder and baking powder. Whisk.
- Stir in cheese with silicione spatula.
- Stir in buttermilk and green chiles with silicone spatula until combined
- When oven is finished pre-heating, in a microwave safe bowl, melt butter for 1 minute.
- In a 9x9* baking dish, pour in melted butter evenly.
- Turn biscuit dough into baking dish on top of butter. Using a spatula or small offset spatula spread dough evenly.
- Roughly cut the dough into 9 even squares.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Let sit for up to 5 minutes, until butter is soaked into the biscuits.